Friday, April 30, 2010

Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas

Awhile ago I stopped buying fajita seasoning packets and used the marinade recipe from a great lady named Betty.  Got her cookbook as a wedding gift and refer to it often.  However, I wouldn't marinate the meat, I would just throw it all in the skillet when I was ready to make dinner, minus the red wine vinegar and with less oil.

I recently decided to try to use the crock pot for an even simpler way to make fajitas.  It worked perfectly!  The original recipe below gives the amounts for 1 pound of boneless chicken.  When making in the crock pot, I used less liquid than the recipe calls for since the chicken will add liquid as it cooks.

1/4 cup vegatable oil (I used olive oil)
1/4 red wine vinegar
1 t. sugar (I used Splenda)
1 t. dried oregano leaves
1 t. chili powder
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Throw all the ingredients in the crock pot with your sliced chicken and cook on low for 4-6 hours.  Add peppers and onions when it is closer to dinner time.  Or you can cook the peppers and onions separately in a skillet and add to your fajitas as you are eating.

Enjoy!

This works great for company and large amounts of chicken.  When I tried it for the first time, I used 6 lbs. of chicken!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds Yummy!!!! May have to try next time we have a get together!!!

    ReplyDelete